Followers

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Running in my Huaraches

MapMyRun.com - Regular Run: running in my new huaraches on 01/25/2011

I headed out early this morning in 17 degree F weather with a slight breeze wearing my new huaraches by <A HREF="http://www.Invisibleshoe.com">Invisibleshoe.com</A>.  An interesting sensation.  Yes you can tell you are stepping on rocks and feel the  ridges of the road.  In my area the snowplows have not been good on the roads plus the city doesn't know how to lay down a smooth pavement.  So most of the runs I do in town and country are fairly rough pavement.  Not barefoot friendly.  So when I do barefoot running, I have to stick to the smooth roads and tough it out when I have to cross rough roads to get to the smooth ones.  There isn't any running/biking trails anywhere in our area!  You have to drive 40 min to get to the nearest one.
Aside from that, I think I am going to enjoy these huaraches.  They do make an interesting sound as you run.  Not a flapping sound....maybe a cupping sound.  I know I had them on tight enough.  I suppose I could trim off closer to my foot, but don't want it too small in case my foot wants to slide around.   I tried to correct my gate, but still kept the barefoot running cadence and stance.  I think it took me the first mile of my test run to get used to them and off I was running.  In fact I was just going to do a short 3 mile  test run.  At first my little toes weren't quite warm enough, but it didn't take long for my feet to adapt and what started as a short run turned into a nice 6 mile run!  The wind and freezing temps didn't bother me as I was concentrating on my running stance and focusing on how the huaraches feel on different pavements.  As I was approaching my house, I could have easily kept going.  Yes, I could see me running a half or full marathon in these!

No comments:

Post a Comment